Vegan – Gluten/Wheat Free – Soy Free
Coconut, Almonds, and Chocolate is a combination you can never go wrong with. These yummy delicious cookies were a gift from my Mom…Thanks Mom! You are too good to me and know me too well.
I learned all my baking skills from my mother as a child. Every Christmas our kitchen was covered with flour, sugar, chocolate, and nuts galore. We’d make 10 dozen cookies of assorted varieties. It was a tradition we started and still keep to this day.
The best part about this recipe is how easy they are to make. 4 ingredients, one bowl, a spoon, a couple measuring cups and you’re good to go. No mixer required, which means an easy clean-up and that’s always a bonus when it comes to baking.
This recipe is easy to do vegan or non-vegan. If Vegan you’ll have an extra step for the sweetened condensed milk (see notes below), but def. worth it when you take a bite of these gooey coconut morsel delights.
I promise, if you love coconut, you will love these cookies! And if you have a nut allergy, just leave out the almonds and make a coconut chocolate chip cookie instead. 🙂
- 1 14 oz bag of sweetened coconut flakes, finely shredded. (you can use unsweetened flakes)
- 2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped salted almonds*
- 14 oz of sweetened condensed milk* (see notes for vegan recipe)
- Preheat the oven to 325F.
- Follow instructions for vegan sweetened condensed milk. Set aside to cool.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or spray with coconut oil.
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl: coconut, chocolate chips, almonds, and sweetened condensed milk and stir until combined.
- Using a small scoop or a spoon, scoop dough and shape into a mound, pressing the top down slightly.
- Bake cookies for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges of coconut start to turn golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet before removing. Cookies will be very soft, but will firm as they cool.
- Store in an air tight container and hidden away from the cookie monster.
*Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk:
2 14 oz. cans of full-fat coconut milk
1/2 cup honey, or equivalent sweetener of choice (agave, maple syrup, or sugar)
1. Pour the coconut milk into a small saucepan, and heat over medium-high heat until boiling, about 5 minutes. Be careful as it can boil over quickly. Whisk regularly to prevent burning.
2. Reduce the heat, bringing the coconut milk to a simmer, then add the sweetener, whisking until it's completely dissolved.
3. Allow to simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the liquid is reduced by half.
4. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool completely before using in recipes.