Vegan – Gluten/Wheat Free – Nut Free – Soy Free
(For Rice Allergy, Switch out Rice with Quinoa or Cauliflower Rice)
This recipe came about on a very busy night when I was starving and had no time to cook. So I opened the fridge to see what needed to be eaten and put together this fast, yet filling dish together. I first started by deciding I wanted rice…Basmati Rice Veggie Medley from Traders Joes was sitting on my pantry shelf and jumped out at me. As that was cooking on the stove, I looked at my counter…I had zucchini, carrots, chickpeas and jícama that all needed to be used before they went bad. How could I use all this and make it come together?…hhhhhmmm…citrus? Lime? That could work! But I knew I needed minimal spices as there was a lot already going on and I didn’t have time for anything fancy.
I got to dicing the zucchini and shredding the carrots…and as I was sautéing the veggies, my go to spice is always red pepper! I use it almost religiously, but knew I needed one more spice to bring this together…Cumin. This seed used as a spice, adds an earthy, nutty flavor with a warming feeling to food. Plus with this blend of Aged Indian Basmati Rice, you can’t go wrong with cumin. Yummmm!!!
The jjícama in this recipe is very subtle. If you’ve never had jícama before, it has a juicy, sweet and nutty taste, commonly described as a savory apple. It packs a lot of crunch; which is why I like it in this dish. It gives a lot of texture to an already “soft” textured food bowl. And yes, you can sauté it with the veggies. It is a root vegetable that is commonly eaten raw but can be cooked and stays crisp when not overcooked. Don’t worry, you can find this veggie in the produce section at most grocery stores these days. I have even found them at Wal-Mart…so no need to have to go to a specialty store anymore. 🙂 Check out this article for more health information: 7 Health Benefits Of The Root Vegetable, Jícama
For a dish that was realized from things needing to be eaten, this has become my go to dish on nights that I want good – real – food – fast. 🙂
- 1 cup basmati rice medley (I used Trader Joe's Basmati & Wild Rice Medley)
- ½ large zucchini diced
- 2 carrots shredded
- 1 (15oz) can chickpeas (i.e. garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed
- Juice from 1 lime (2 tablespoons of lime juice)
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- ½ - 1 tsp cumin (start with ½ and add more to taste)
- ¼ tsp red pepper
- ¾ cup jicama (optional) cut into cubes
- salt/pepper to taste
- green onion to garnish
- Cook rice according to package.
- While rice is cooking, chopped up veggies. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add all veggies, minus the chickpeas, and sauté until almost tender, stirring occasionally. (approx. 10 minutes)
- Reduce heat to low. Add rice & chickpeas to veggies, along with the lime juice and spices.
- Stir to combine and cook together for 5 additional minutes or until hot & veggies are tender.
- Garnish with green onions and you're ready to enjoy!