Vegan – Gluten/Wheat Free – Soy Free – Nut Free – Corn Free
Spring into Salad Post 5 – Today has felt a lot more like Summer than Spring here in Nashville. We topped out at 90 degrees. Phew…that’s hot! Being a Floridian, I actually love the heat, but it would be nice for it to hold off being this hot for a couple more months – buuuuut as our weather goes around here, tomorrow will bring thunderstorms and a cold front so we will be back to our typical highs in the 60’s & 70’s this coming week.
While it is feeling like summer, I was craving a chilled bean salad. When it’s this hot outside, I like refreshing cold foods. This salad is one of the simplest recipes anyone can make; only takes 10 minutes to prep. The longest is waiting for it to chill in the fridge, but there’s a simple trick to help with this. Put your cans of beans in the fridge the night before so they are nice and chilled the next day and no waiting around. Just mix everything and enjoy immediately cause who really likes making food and waiting to eat it. Not Me!!
This salad can be any combination of beans that you like. I used pinto, kidney, black and garbanzo, but feel free to swap any out with red, white (great northern), navy, or cannellini. You could even add green beans or replace the asparagus with green beans. Wow, the possibilities…
This is a great go-to salad to bring to cook-outs. Cost is very inexpensive, fast to prepare and makes a great side next to corn on the cob and bbq. It can even be added to the top of a mixed green salad for lots of protein mix-ins.
- 1 (15 oz) can of kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (16 oz) can of pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained & rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups of raw asparagus, cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- ¾ cup green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup fresh dill
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice (start with 2 and add a third to taste)
- 2 tsp paprika
- Drain & rinse all cans of beans and add to a large bowl.
- Chop green peppers, asparagus, fresh cilantro & dill and add to beans.
- Add the lemon & lime juice as well as the paprika.
- Mix and chill for 1 hour in the refrigerator, unless you chilled your cans overnight.
- Toss again before serving, add any additional lemon/lime or spices to taste.
*Be careful not to stir too much or the beans will start to get mushy.