Vegan – Gluten/Wheat Free – Nut Free – Soy Free
We love anything pasta in our house, so when we discovered Spaghetti Squash, we were in Love! The possibilities of eating “Pasta” that was healthier for you…what?!? My brain was spinning! I was so excited to try this vegetable that automatically created strings like pasta! What could be easier?!
So I began thinking of the endless possibilities for recipes and trying them out.
This Lemon Herb Recipe is one of our favorites.
The prep is very easy. Start by cutting your spaghetti squash in half, clean out all the seeds and then bake cut-side down on a cookie sheet at 375 degrees for 30-45 mins. Smaller squash will cook more quickly than larger squash. Check the squash after 30 minutes to gauge cooking. The squash is done when tender. You should easily be able to pierce a fork through the flesh all the way to the peel.
While the Spaghetti Squash is cooking, prep your veggies and get ready to sauté them.
My Favorite part is when all the seasonings and flavor start to fill the room with yummy goodness. My tummy starts to grumble in anticipation to devour the dish.
This recipe combines my love for “pasta,” veggies and citrus! This year round recipe will spice up your summer nights or warm you up in winter when paired with a full bodied red wine.
I used a lot of Kale in this recipe to act as a dominate ingredient with the spaghetti squash. Feel free to cut it back some, but keep in mind that a cup of kale comes with just 33.5 calories, 6.7 grams carbohydrates, and 0.5 grams of fat and contains 26 health benefits you won’t want to miss out on. (For more information click here to read about these benefits from HealthyLine Blog).
- 1 spaghetti squash* (small - I used only ½ of a med-large size)
- 4 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups chopped button mushrooms (or any mushroom of choice)
- ½ cup chopped Italian-Style sun-dried tomatoes* - see notes on how to make your own
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice (or juice from 1 lemon)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ tbsp of lemon olive oil*
- ½ tbsp of sun-dried tomato olive oil*
- 1-2 tsp Italian seasoning (*basil, oregano, rosemary, marjoram, cilantro)
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- Fresh Basil to taste
- Heat ½ tablespoon of lemon olive oil and sauté the garlic until soft and starting to brown.
- Add ½ tablespoon of sun-dried tomato olive oil, kale, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to cook, stirring in spaghetti squash, lemon juice and spices. (approx 5 more mins)
- Once all ingredients are combined, serve and enjoy!
*Lemon olive oil - you can substitute with regular olive oil and add more lemon juice to taste if desired.
*Sun-dried tomato olive oil - you can substitute with regular olive oil or buy sun-dried tomatoes already in olive oil and use some of that oil.
*To make your own Sun-Dried Tomatoes click Here to check out my blog post.