Vegan – Gluten/Wheat Free – Soy Free – Nut Free – Corn Free
I’m one of those people that can eat soup year round. I know we tend to eat more comfy warm soups in the winter, but who says you can’t enjoy one from time to time even in the summer? There’s always going to be those days when you want some warm snuggle under a blanket comfy food. And what better way to make a soup than with a crock pot.
Crock Pots are amazing aren’t they? I tend to only use them for soups or chili, but it’s great to just be able to throw all of your ingredients into one big pot, turn a button on and Voilà, hours later your dish is automatically cooked for you. Nothing gets easier than this eh?
For the ingredients, I used a combination of green & brown lentils. Feel free to use whatever color you’d like. Also, get creative with the veggies. I used carrots, green pepper, jalapeños, celery, and kale (<— click to read more information on 26 science backed health benefits of kale from HealthyLine blog). Add some onions, zucchini, spinach instead of kale , or even some potatoes.
The beauty of a bean and veggie soup, is once you have the tomato broth and seasonings, you can add anything your heart desires. This is such a simple dish to create and alter to your taste. Have fun with it and let the crock pot do it’s magic.
- 1½ cups lentils, dry (I used a combo of green & brown)
- 1 can (15-16 oz) kidney beans
- 1 bell pepper, diced - any color of choice
- 2 jalapeños
- 2 carrots, peeled & chopped
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 2 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 5 cups veggie broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper, more to taste if you want some extra spice
- salt & pepper to taste
- *garnish - green onion or fresh cilantro
- In a 6 quart or larger slow cooker (crock pot) add all ingredients except for the kale; stir and cover.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Add kale the last 15 minutes of cooking or until desired tenderness.
- Serve with green onion or fresh cilantro.