Vegan – Gluten/Wheat Free – Soy Free
Homemade Nut Butter…it couldn’t get any better than this. Super Simple, Super Easy, Super Tasty!!
I love to make anything from scratch because it always tastes better and I always know what’s going into it. And Pecan Butter is my go to nut butter for spreading on bagels, apples, bananas, pretzels…and even celery.
There are two ways to make this delicious spread. One by roasting the pecans first <— the method I tend to always use. Or two, just by putting your pecans in a food processor and puréeing until smooth. This second method will take about 20 minutes to get the right consistency as opposed to about 7 minutes if roasted first.
The roasting method will enhance the flavor of the pecans and give it a richer nuttier taste in the end; which is why I prefer this technique. When roasting the pecans, make sure to not burn them. You will know they are ready when you can smell there fragrant aroma. Typically takes about 3-5 minutes.
Once the pecans are roasted, let them cool and then place them in your food processor. Blend on high until the pecans start to crumble; approx. 2 minutes. Scrap down the sides as needed.
Continue blending…you’ll start to see that the nuts are forming a thicker consistency. Approx. another 2 minutes.
At the very end, you will see that your nut butter has formed a smooth consistency that will spread easily. Approx. another 2 minutes.
Add in any extras like cinnamon, nutmeg, or maple syrup at this point…pulse a few times to combine. I like to use Trader Joe’s Maple Agave Syrup Blend. It gives just a touch of sweetness that I crave.
Keep refrigerated as there are no preservatives. Spread on anything and everything your heart desires and enjoy!!
- 2 cups raw pecans
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tbsp maple syrup / agave blend (Trader Joe's Maple Agave Syrup Blend)
- Dry roast the pecans on the stove-top for approx. 5 mins. You'll know they are ready when they start to become fragrant. Be careful not to burn them.
- Let pecans cool, then add to a food processor
- Blend at high speed for 5-7 minutes, scraping sides occasionally.
- Add cinnamon and nutmeg and pulse until blended.
- Add maple syrup / agave blend and pulse a few times. Be careful as this can really liquefy your butter.
- Spread onto your favorite breads and fruits.