VEGAN – GLUTEN/WHEAT FREE
(CONTAINS SOY – CONTAINS NUTS)
Food Heaven, Food Love, Food Comfort, Food Happiness, Love Eating, I Love Food…these are just a “few” of the words that cross my mind as I dream of this salad.
Spring into Salad – Post 2 – brings a delish-ous Asian Inspired Quinoa Kale Salad with a Sesame Peanut Ginger Dressing. This dressing combines all my favorite flavors, honey – yum, sesame seeds & tahini – yum yum, ginger – yum yum yum, peanut butter yuuummmmmmm…I could go on, but then I’d be getting a little ridiculous. 😉 But seriously, this dressing you could drink!
Part of my goal with this series is to explore the world of salads by making them fun and flavorful and something you’ll crave. Plus with summer approaching, lighter, healthier dishes are on our minds.
Here’s what we’ve got in this Asian inspired salad:
- Quinoa – I generously salt the water when making Quinoa but this isn’t necessary
- Kale – if you hate Kale 🙁 and I know there’s haters out there, you can substitute with spinach
- Shelled edamame – just dethaw since usually you buy this frozen
- Shredded carrots – you could buy matchstick carrots, or just cut baby or normal carrots thinly
- Cilantro – fresh cilantro, noting is better at flavoring a salad than this herb
- Mushrooms of choice (I used white button since that’s what I had in the fridge but since this is Asian inspired I think Shitake or Enoki would work well and add a fun Asian flare)
- Sliced almonds (or sunflower seeds, if allergic to almonds)
- Dried cranberries (i.e. craisins)
- Sesame Peanut Ginger Dressing – you’ll want to bathe in this dressing once you taste it – see below for ingredients
Your mouth is starting to water now isn’t it? If not, then I’m not sure you’re human. R-O-B-O-T??? But for reals, I promise if you like the flavors of these ingredients, you’re going to want to make this every week. Scratch that…Everyday!! 🙂 I think I’m going to go have another helping right now since I have some leftovers.
Treat yourself to this blissful salad and slip into euphoria.
If prepping this salad early, or bringing it to a dinner party or cookout, keep the dressing separate and pour on right before serving. Otherwise the dressing will soak in a lot and you’ll feel like you’ll need more dressing by the time you eat it.
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1½ tbsp tahini
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos* - see add-on/substitutes
- 2 tbsp peanut butter, melted* - see add-on/substitutes
- 1 tbsp honey (or agave)
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ cup quinoa, dry
- 2 cups kale, chopped
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms of choice, chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds (or sunflower seeds)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Garnish with additional almonds & sesame seeds
- *Substitute Bragg's liquid aminos with soy sauce or coconut aminos.
- *If you have an allergy to almonds and/or peanuts, substitute with sunflower butter and sunflower seeds, it's just as delicious!
- *If you eat meat, add chicken with salt, pepper and dried cilantro seasonings.
- Heat the peanut butter (or nut butter of choice) in microwave for 30 sec, or until melted.
- Add all ingredients into a jar with a tight sealing lid. Shake until combined.
- Cook quinoa according to package. Once cooked, remove from pot & set aside to cool.
- While quinoa is cooking and cooling, chop all salad ingredients and add to a large bowl.
- Once quinoa has cooled (approx. 10 mins), add it to the bowl of veggies.
- Pour dressing over top and mix until well combined.
- Garnish & Serve immediately.