VEGAN – GLUTEN/WHEAT FREE – SOY FREE
(CONTAINS NUTS AS TOPPING ONLY – CONTAINS OATS – CAN SUBSTITUTE WITH ALL PURPOSE FLOUR – CONTAINS ALMOND MILK – CAN SUBSTITUTE WITH ANY MILK OF CHOICE)
Hoppity Hop Hop…Hoppity Hop Hop…the Easter Bunny’s on its way and I just went to Food Heaven with these Spiced Carrot Apple Muffins!! I was lying in bed this morning waking up when I got the urge to bake something and with Easter a week away, I thought…what about some kind of carrot muffins?!? Hmmmm….How could I make some carrot muffins with a twist that will be gluten free and vegan and taste Delish-ous?! It all came down to the spices.
I got out my muddler, yes I muddle my own spices…it makes me happy. Oh, the little things in life! 🙂 You can use all ground spices, no worries. But I got to muddling some star anise, cardamom, and cloves and mixed in some cinnamon and nutmeg. The zest and fragrance of all these flavors coming together started the angels singing. Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Hallelujah! Halle-e-lujah!
Ok ok, I’ve digressed, but I can’t help to get excited when I surprise myself with a recipe I created. I love to bake, but I tend to only bake around the holidays and feel I’m much better at experimenting with cooking; so when these came out as good as they did, I was in shock…but happy, singing, jumping around and my husband was requesting these every week. Even my brother-in-law who’s in town right now was wanting more.
And Thanks to my mother-in-law, Barb, for making me some home-made applesauce that I used in this recipe. Store bought gots nothing on this…once you go home-made, you’ll never go back.
This recipe is pretty simple, but does take a little time to prep. I’m lucky enough to have a Kitchenaid food processor that has a slicer/shredder attachment, so shredding my carrots and apples were a breeze. Plus I put my hubby to work doing this 😉 So blessed!
I did end up using my Kitchenaid Mixer to whip all the ingredients together, since it makes things easier, but you could always mix by hand if you choose to.
Carrots, Apples & Spice and everything nice! Enjoy and Savor cause these will go fast.
- 1 cup oat flour* (see notes on how to make)
- 1 cup gluten free all purpose flour*
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground star anise
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg (use 1 flax egg or egg replacer for vegan)
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 cup apples, shredded
- chopped walnuts and/or pecans for topping (optional)
- cinnamon & sugar for topping (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 177 degrees C.
- Prepare muffin tin with liners or lightly grease.
- If using flax egg, mix 3 tbsp of water to 1 tbsp of flax meal, combine and let sit in fridge for 15 mins.
- Shred both the carrots and apples and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all wet ingredients and whisk together.
- In a seperate bowl, add all dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and beat/stir until well incorporated.
- Stir in shredded carrots and apples.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffins. About ¾ of the way full.
- Gently press chopped walnuts or pecans on top and sprinkle with some cinnamon & sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the muffins to cool before removing from muffin tin.
- Store in an airtight container or freeze to keep fresh.
* Oat Flour - Add gluten free oats to a food processor and pulse until a flour consistency is achieved. Make sure to measure the flour after you process the oats.
*If you're not gluten free, you can still use 1 cup of oat flour and 1 cup of an all-purpose flour, or just 2 cups of all-purpose flour.