Dairy Free – Gluten/Wheat Free – Egg Free – Nut Free
(For Rice Allergy, Switch out Rice with Quinoa or Cauliflower Rice)
When I did eat meat, or I should say the only meat I ever ate was chicken, so I definitely know how to make a good chicken dish. I grew up with a Mom that primarily only ate chicken and fish, but also loved to prepare lots of meatless dishes. So meat wasn’t always the main component of our dinners. I’ve never cared for meat personally, it just doesn’t do anything for me, but I know lots of people out there love it and live on it. My husband enjoys a good chicken dish and I like to make him happy 🙂 so I do make meat dishes for him from time to time. He enjoys all the vegan gluten free food I make, but there are those moments that I like to make a dish just for him. This recipe is an easy go to dish that he really enjoys and I can eat as well, sans the chicken and adding tofu or tempeh. 😉
Easy recipes are what I’m always looking for during the week. I save more complex dishes for the weekends. So when I say a recipe is easy; it means its simple steps and fast to make.
For this dish, on nights that I have more time, or I remember in the morning, I will marinate the chicken. But this isn’t necessary. While the rice is cooking, you can just add the chicken and marinate sauce (Bragg’s Liquid Amino or Soy Sauce and Honey) to the pan and cook all together.
The Sweet Thai Chili sauce in this recipe is homemade. If I can make anything from scratch, I will. I find joy in it and this way I can spice it how I like it! But to make this recipe even faster, just go out and buy some sweet Thai chili sauce. My fav. Store bought is by Thai Kitchen. You can usually find it in the International section at a local grocery store.
Get creative and add any veggies you like…squash, mushrooms, or snap peas…Just have fun cooking and enjoy what you’re eating!!
- 2 lbs. chicken tenders cut into bit sized pieces
- 1 cup jasmine rice (or any type of rice you like)
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 2-3 carrots shredded
- 1 - 2 tbsp Thai sweet chili sauce*
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Bragg's liquid aminos (or gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp honey or agave
- ½ tsp fresh grated ginger
- ¼ tsp red pepper
- Cook rice according to package.
- Cut chicken and place in ziploc bag and marinate with Bragg's liquid aminos and honey for 20 minutes. (optional on nights that you have more time)
- Heat ½ the sesame oil over medium high heat, add chicken with the marinade juice, red pepper flakes and grated ginger and cook until chicken is white in the middle.
- Set chicken to the side and use the same pan to heat the remaining sesame oil. Add garlic and sauté until beginning to brown.
- Add zucchini and carrots and cook until tender.
- Add chicken back into the pan with the veggies. Add Thai sweet chili sauce and rice. Combine until all ingredients are coated.
- Garnish with sesame seeds, break out the chopsticks and devour!