Vegan – Gluten/Wheat Free – Nut Free – Soy Free – Corn Free
Puréed butternut squash…hmmm…what to do?! A-ha! Why not try it as a pizza sauce?!! Are you intrigued? Well you should be, cause this delicious sauce will have you jumping out of your seat with delight.
I was craving veggies and really wanted a veggie pizza, but I had all this butternut squash left over and wanted to find a new use for this fruit than just using roasted cubes in dishes. Don’t get me wrong, that’s always a good choice for this ingredient, check out my recipe on Chili Lime Quinoa w/ Butternut Squash, but I wanted to venture out and try something new…and this was a week of exploring this squash and the many uses of it.
So I whipped out my food processor and got to puréeing, seasoning, tasting, and exploring. I also figured while I was trying something new with the squash, let’s try making a lentil crust that I’ve seen floating around Pinterest. <— If this doesn’t interest you, just use a normal pizza crust recipe or even store bought to make life easier.
The sauce is a combination of seasonings that will ignite your taste buds and give the veggies a punch. Since I didn’t season the veggies, all the flavors come from the crust but mostly the Sauce. This is the element that brings the dish together and ignites the palate. This sauce will be thicker and creamier than a traditional red sauce, so I actually used a butter knife to help spread it on the crust than just the back of a spoon.
Use whatever combination of veggies you like. The sauce will complement any you crave.
You can’t get a much healthier pizza than a veggie one right?! Kill two birds with one stone; Get your daily dose of veggies but the enjoyment of a slice of heaven. 🙂 You can’t go wrong with adding some kale to the mix either. These 26 science based health benefits by HealthyLine Blog will make you put this veggie in everything you eat.
Slice, cut, and enjoy!
- 3 cups butternut squash, roasted and cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp basil
- Salt/pepper to taste (optional)
- 2 cups dry lentils (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp parsley
- ¼ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cilantro
- ¼ tsp red pepper
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1½ cups broccoli
- 1 red peppers, slivered
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cups kale
- ¾ cup chickpeas (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend on medium speed until all ingredients are chopped and you have a smooth consistency.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend on high speed until batter forms and lentils are all broken down.
- Preheat a frying pan over low-med heat and spray with olive oil.
- Pour about ¾ cup of batter into the frying pan and spread until it looks like a pancake.
- Fry for about 3 minutes, flip and fry other side for another 3 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining batter to make 4 pizza crusts.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Place pizza crusts on baking sheets or pizza stone, top with sauce & veggies of choice.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until veggies are roasted.
- Slice and Serve.