Vegan – Gluten/Wheat Free – Nut Free
Ramen…brings you back to College days, uh? Those inexpensive noodle packets that we all enjoyed a time or two, especially when money was pinched. Well, now you don’t have to just make those noodles as a soup packet. Let’s take these noodles from our past (or maybe even your present) and elevate them into a delish-ous meal that will satisfy your hunger, but leave you wanting more.
You might be saying that this Ramen looks more like Rice. Well, since I am gluten free, I buy rice ramen noodles and break them up which will give them an appearance more consistent with rice than noodles…but you don’t have to do this. I just find it easier to eat. 😉
About the recipe: You may use any type of Ramen Noodles you want, just cook them according to the package and set to the side while you prepare and sauté the veggies. Feel free to add any of your fav veggies to this dish. I happened to have a ton of broccoli, zucchini and snap peas that needed to be eaten, but I’ve done this dish with asparagus, peppers, mushrooms, and/or yellow squash. I love when the possibilities are endless…
Once your veggies are cooked and tender, all you have left is to heat and thicken the sauce. The sauce will thicken quickly once you add the cornstarch and the sauce comes to a boil. Combine all ingredients and toss till well coated and Voila, these simple inexpensive noodles have become a fulfilling entrée dish that will surprise your family, dinner guests, and your stomach!
- 3 packs of ramen noodles* (I used Lotus Foods Organic Rice Ramen Noodles Millet & Brown)
- 1 small head of broccoli
- 1 cup snap peas
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 15oz can chickpeas (or 1½ cup cooked chickpeas drained)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (or olive oil) for cooking
- ½ cup veggie broth
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (or soy sauce)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 chili pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp honey (or agave)
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch + water (to thicken)*
- Optional Toppings: green onions, sesame seeds
- In a bowl, add all ingredients for the sauce, except for the cornstarch. Whisk until well combined.
- Cook Ramen noodles according to package, approx. 2 mins. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of sesame oil over medium high heat. Add all veggies and cook for 2-3 stirring occasionally. Cover with lid to steam cook for 3-4 minutes, or until tender.* Add chickpeas the last minute to heat.
- Remove veggies from skillet and set aside in bowl.
- In the same skillet, over medium heat, add the sauce mixture. Stir and cook (uncovered) adding your cornstarch + water* mixture slowly until the sauce thickens. About 3-5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients, noodles and veggies, back to skillet with sauce. Toss until evenly coated and re-heated.
- Top with desired toppings: green onions, additional red pepper flakes, or sesame seeds.
- Enjoy immediately!
*Click Here for a good site to buy Lotus Foods - Ramen Noodles